Gearbest

Monday, May 22, 2017

Review: new improved Boker Kwaiken G10 copy

This new improved budget friendly version of the Boker Plus Kwaiken is an amazing flipper. You don't have to fiddle with the finger position on the flipper tab. It's like a switch blade, you push the flipper tab and the blade opens efortlessly every time without any wirst flick.

Pros:
- excellent slim design with perfect fit and finish
- light weight construction thanks to the skeletonized steel liners
- the ceramic ball bearing pivot system makes opening and closing amazingly smooth
- easy to operate flipper tab with jimping and excellent flipping action
- lovely satin finished blade (stonewashed version is also available)
- solid early lock-up without any blade play or lock stick
- the lock-bar is very comfortable to operate
- perfectly centered blade
- the end of the handle could be used as an impact weapon
- high quality Boker gift box with papers

Cons:
- the pocket clip was stiff I had to adjust it

Details:
Blade length: 3.54" (90 mm)
Blade thickness: 0.1118" (3 mm)
Blade steel: 9Cr18MoV 
Open length: 8.35" (212 mm)
Closed length: 4.8" (122 mm)
Handle thickness: 0.54" (13.7 mm)
Weight: 3.95 oz (112 g)
Handle: G10 with steel liners 
Lock: liner-lock 
Carry: right hand tip up

You can buy this G10 Kwaiken in 6 colors with satin or stonewashed blade
on Aliexpress:
 ***HERE*** or ***HERE*** or ***HERE*** or ***HERE***

Because of a stupid rule of Aliexpress the sellers are forced to photoshop


 the locking mechanism and the "blood grooves" on the folders.

Excellent fit and finish:
Improved flipper design, comfortable liner-lock:
Skeletonized steel liners, hidden stop pin
and ceramic bearing washers:
Solid early lock up, perfectly centered blade:
Size reference
 Y-Start JIN02 (review here) and ZT0770 copy:

You can buy the Y-Start JIN02 with D2 blade and ball bearings:
 ***HERE*** GearBest 
***HERE*** Fasttech

and the ZT0770 copy with ball bearings on Aliexpress:
 ***HERE*** or ***HERE*** or ***HERE*** (G10 version)

More pics:

22 comments:

  1. Great pictures and a concise, helpful review - thanks!
    I have a couple of the earlier non-skeletonized steel models, and they are fantastic knives for the money, even if they are much heavier than they need to be. The skeletonized liners and improved flipper tab look like welcome changes.
    One question: are you sure it has ceramic bearings? The older version uses the typical brass cage with steel bearings that you see in a lot of knives in this price range (which works fine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's good to hear that after spending a lot of time fiddling about the photos! :)
      According to the sellers ceramic bearings are used. I haven't taken apart mine because it's just perfect right out of the box.

      Delete
  2. Cool. I was wondering if anyone actually received theirs as I haven't seen any reviews on it. I'm awaiting on my order to be delivered -- had to ask to extend the order protection time from AE vendor. I went for the Jade handle (it's been so long, I can't remember if I ordered the satin or stonewash blade) -- interesting that you picked up the red one; I'm guessing you wanted something a bit different than all your other knives -- the red looks really nice with that satin blade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really like this satin blade finish. I have plenty folders in the usual tacticool colors. I really like this dark red color (I have a Tabargan 95 clone in the same color). My second choice would have been the jade one. I like the toxic green color too but that stains quite easily.

      Delete
  3. I guess I want one when they make the small version in this improved way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boker has a mini kwaiken with a 3" blade but that one costs a bit more than $26 shipped. :))

      Delete
    2. Yeah, that's why I hope for the imroved smaller version ;)

      Btw, are there any rvies already for the Zieba G2 clone ith G10 scales?

      Delete
    3. I haven't seen any review about the G10 version.

      HERE is the new steel handle version of the Zieba G2. I might get tempted! :)

      Delete
    4. The steel version seems to be lighter, 105g instead of 110g.

      Maybe it has milled handles or because it's slimmer?

      The steel handle is looking quite slippery though...

      Delete
  4. I own this boker kwaiken knife and it's absolutely lovely knife. One of the best looking knives I bought on aliexpress and dhgate. Everyone I showed it to said it looked much more expensive than it really is. I had the previous version and this one is so much better after the latest improvements. I can recommend it, worth buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really amazed by its smoothness and flipping action. It's quite close to my Green Thorn Shirogorov F95.

      Delete
  5. I also have the same red satin blade version and I like it. BUT there are two things that bother me just a little. 1st the Böker logos - just why? Maybe it's just me, but I would have preferred the no-logo look like they advertise on the ali promo pictures. And secondly (and I know I'm probably picking) the blade in closed position falls in too deep between the liners. If would be just perfect visually, when the back side of blade sits flush with the liners when closed.
    And of course we all need the smaller version:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It would be just perfect visually, when the back side of blade sits flush with the liners when closed."

    They can't do that with this blade style. The risk that your finger get cut by the tip would be too high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right. But it would have been nicer;)
      https://www.upload.ee/image/7039833/Kwaiken_back.jpg

      Delete
  7. Btw, how about this?

    aliexpress.com/item/MAGIC-Titanium-alloy-finger-tip-gyro-D2-steel-folding-knife-outdoor-knife-TC4-bearing-camping-knife/32812616366.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about to place my order for that I'm getting weak. :)

      Delete
  8. VG-10 marking on the blade lol I wish :)
    Really great knife for the money, again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make a replica you can't write 9Cr18MoV on the blade. :)

      Delete
  9. Dang it I've been coveting this knife for a while now. Now I have no reason not to get one! Something about that kwaiken shape is just awesome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't regret it. The quality and the f&f are stunning.

      Delete
  10. I received my green Kwaiken today after it bounced around my state for almost a week. The quality is indeed high and the action is amazing! Besides some very tiny imperfections in the G10 and steel the only thing that concerned me at first was how little space there is on either side of the blade. When properly tightened and centered it looks like the blade touches the lock bar because of how the lockbar bends inward. It doesn't seem to be rubbing the blade though or affecting the action so I think I just have to get used to how it looks. The green G10 is a really nice color you don't often see on knives and I had to go to DHGate to find it. Just an amazing knife overall I'm very happy I finally got one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the tolerances are quite tight which gives an extra premium feel to the folder IMO. If you hold the knife horizontal in closed position against the light you can see only the detent ball touches the blade.
      Which green did you go for (dark green or apple green)?
      The unique serial number is not so common in this budget category either. :)

      Delete