Sunday, August 28, 2016

Superb HK style Ganzo G745 folders

G745 with G10, wood and carbon fiber handle

My new favourites, especially the wood handle version
 which is one of my smoothest folders out of the box.
Pros:
- perfect fit and finish 
- attractive and comfortable handle with good ergonomics
- pocket friendly slim design 
- solid lock-up without any blade play
- smooth opening and closing
- dead centered, stone washed (G10, wood) or satin finished (CF) blade
- stylish blade with very good slicing performance

Cons:
- none

Details:
Blade length: 3.58" (91 mm)
Blade thickness: 0.126" (3.2 mm)
Blade steel: 440C stainless steel (58HRC)
Open length: 8.3" (211 mm)
Closed length: 4.72" (120 mm)
Handle thickness: 0.5" (12.6 mm)
Weight: 4.3 oz, 4.8 oz, 4.9 oz (122 g, 136 g, 139 g) wood / G10 / CF
Handle: wood / G10 / CF with steel liners 
Lock: axis-lock 
Carry: right/left hand tip up

 You can buy these Ganzo G745 folders at GearBest:
                         ***HERE*** (wood handle with stone washed blade)
                         ***HERE*** (dark ebony wood handle with stone washed blade)
                         ***HERE*** (carbon fiber handle with satin finished blade)
                         ***HERE*** (grooved G10 handle with stone washed blade)
                         ***HERE*** (grooved G10 handle with black blade)
                         ***HERE*** (solid G10 handle with stone washed blade)

Attractive handle materials:
Dead centered blades:
Next to the renowned Enlan EL-01 (review here):

More pics:

12 comments:

  1. You are lucky on the wood pattern on this one. This knife feels very light because of the weight distribution and thiner liners.

    There is a flaw design on this one : When you close the blade if the axis lock is push all the way back it will hit the bottom part of the blade...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried it. In my case the axis lock could hit only the very corner of the blade if I made the extra effort to pull the axis shaft all the way back during closing.
      Fortunately it's not a real problem for me because it's not likely that I'll do that too often because pulling the axis lock all the way back is hard and uncomfortable.
      They could have avoid this by making the travell route of the axis shaft a bit shorter.

      Delete
  2. Yes not a problem for me neither but some people like to use axis lock like a gravity knife and opening/closing with only wrist motion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can still do that because the axis shaft needs only a half way pulling back to release the blade and in that position it can't reach the edge.

      Delete
  3. When I see pic 6 and 20 it seems like the wood handled one's blade is ground thinner, both on the main bevel but also the false edge is looking so.
    It would be intersting if that's a coincidence or not because usually the Ganzos' main bevels seem to be a bit too thick for my (slicing) taste but your copy is looking much better than the ones I've handled before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The false edge is thinner at the wood handle version for sure but I can't see any difference at the main bevel. I measured it and the blade thickness is ~0.5 mm at all of them just behind the edge.

      Delete
    2. I remeber the Malyshev Gnome, before grinding it down it was around .8mm or so, not really a slicer and my co-worker's Ganzo G-710 was in that league, too, but .5mm would be good already :)

      Delete
    3. Ok, here some pics of the reground G710's blade.
      Next time it will be nicer but it's .4mm - .5mm behind the cutting edge so I hope it will be still tough enough for light forest duty.

      http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y421/e_sutus/Ganzo/2016-09-13-469_zpsegfpakeq.jpg
      http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y421/e_sutus/Ganzo/2016-09-13-471_zpsieqbacga.jpg

      Delete
    4. Good job! What tools did you use for the regrind?

      Delete
    5. I've used a belt sander first, then sandpaper on a block to remove the deep scratches from the 60 or 80 grit paper and also to get a clean line to the ricasso because I can only use one side of the sander.
      I wasn't in a mood to sand it higher than 400 grit so I screwed the blade on a piece of wood and gave this circullar pattern with a rotating tool mounted on our normal belt sander. It's looking a bit like a hollow ground but it's all flat.

      Delete
    6. I thought it was hollow ground. I suppose a hollow ground regrind would be more tricky.

      Delete
    7. Oh, for a hollow grind I'd need better equipment and more training I guess ;)
      I'm also not a great fan of it, esp. when slicing through something.
      When the fat area at the ricasso is catching the stuff, not funny.
      For a steak knife it might me good though, and of course, it's just looking more interesting than a FFG.

      Delete