Friday, October 30, 2015

Review: Ganzo G729 "Axis-lock Paramilitary"

Pros:
- sturdy folder with an excellent fit and finish
- practical full flat ground blade shape
- perfectly centered shaving sharp blade
- smooth opening, rock solid lock-up without any blade play
- comfortable handle design with good ergonomics
- good size and weight for every day carry

Cons:
- because of the full steel liners it weights more than the Spyderco Paramilitary 2

Details:
Blade length: 3.5" (89 mm)
Blade thickness: 0.126" (3.2 mm)
Blade steel: 440C Stainless Steel (58 - 60 HRC)
Open length: 8.22" (209 mm)
Closed length: 4.72" (120 mm)
Weight: 4.4 oz  (125 g)
Handle: G10 handle with steel liners
Lock: axis-lock
Carry: right or left hand tip up

You can also buy the G729 in 5 colors at Gearbest:
Black grooved handle:   ***HERE***
Solid handle (4 colors):  ***HERE***
New CF version with skeletonized liners: ***HERE***

and at Fasttech: ***HERE*** (G729) or ***HERE*** (CF)

Havel look at my post about the G729 vs. Spyderco PM2 clone HERE!

Ganzo G717, G704 and G729:

You can buy the Ganzo G717 and G704 at Gearbest.com: ***HERE*** (G717)
                                                                                               ***HERE*** (G704)
More pics:

10 comments:

  1. In my opinion, one of the best Ganzo has produced to date
    Now I expect Ganzo to produce a skeletonized titanium+carbon fiber version of it
    ... if that will ever happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to read that you're happy with yours. Mine still in the mail, but after your review, I can't wait to get it (and to get all the others that I have in the mail, starting with the carbon Hati that I should get tomorrow!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed this time Ganzo managed to put a razor sharp edge on the blade. :)

      Delete
    2. And I got the Hati Carbon today, as anticipated. Man, that's a really cool knife. It's smooth as butter, very beautiful (OK, I know I have a f95 fetish of sort) and light as a feather (114.5g on my scale) only waaaaaay sharper!

      I'll probably do the "f95 family" pictorial soon. If I manage to get enough time, that is...

      Delete
    3. And I've eventually managed to take some pics and write some words on my "f95" family.
      It's here on my blog.
      Clicking on the pics allows to see them full size!

      Delete
    4. Nice sum up!
      As I see the Hati is your favourite but what do you think about the full Ti seashell version?

      Delete
    5. I love it for the design and the way it feels in hand (the contouring and "texturing" of the handles are great for ergonomics) but the detent is a bit weak (for a flipper and my personal tastes, doesn't interfere with the flipping which is great).

      Another thing is that "we have history, it and me" ;). I managed to bend the pocket clip out with the safety belt in my car this summer, while rushing out of the car to prevent an accident. That bent AND twisted the clip out. I managed to re-bend it in the right shape, without scratches, but the ball that prevents turning is gone and has enlarged the hole in which it should be in the process. So I've blocked the clip in place with a small bit of a nail. Still, I'm a bit wary of it and fear that it might come undone at some point (despite the loctite I've added to the screw, too).

      Delete
  3. Dammit isti, you're costing me money again, I actually resisted for 3 months but I must have the green version of this knife, just let's get this straight, the 729 as well as a Shirogorov mini95 clone and that's just this month, Oh hell carry on with your reviews while I make a shopping list - or to save time contact AliExpress and point them to this website and tell them to send all the knives reviewed..............Resistance is Futile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I see the addiction is spreading! :))
      I've been working on new knife drawers this weekend to keep my collection one place. I'm afraid sooner or later I'll have to convert all of the booksheves into knife drawers! ;)

      Delete
  4. Hello there! I've been checking in on this site for a while now and just now officially joined.

    I just received my "Paramilitary" Ganzo. Mine is the G7291-BK version. It has the axis lock but the difference is the contoured G10 handles. I have several Ganzo knives but this one is my new favorite. The scales feel great and give good purchase. Blade is good and sharp, no blade play and constructions is rock solid. These Ganzo knives are hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete